Overview of the Blackboard Collaborate Platform
The most popular use of the Blackboard Collaborate platform is the webconferencing module. This tool allows faculty and students to meet in an online space using video and/or audio chat, whiteboard features, slideshow features, and screensharing features.
- Watch the “Introducing Web Conferencing” screencast.
- Collaborate Mobile enables users to participate in a webconference on an iPad, iPod or iPhone.
The Blackboard Collaborate platform consists of two other modules: Instant Messaging and Voice Tools. Screencasts that provide an overview of these two tools are listed below.
- Introducing Instant Messaging
- Introducing Voice Tools. Because these tools are Java-based it’s best to avoid Chrome when using these tools.
Where to access Blackboard Collaborate
NU Faculty, Students: go to myNEU and log into Blackboard on the Self-Service tab. Once you select one of your courses, Blackboard Collaborate can be accessed under the “Tools” tab located on the left hand menu. Depending on the setup of your individual course, a Blackboard Collaborate or “Live Sessions” link may be visible on the left navigation menu. This is an alternate way to access Collaborate sessions.
What you need to access and participate in Blackboard Collaborate Web Conference, Instant Message and Voice Authoring:
- A computer with an Internet connection
- A Northeastern myNEU account (faculty and students may visit myNEU to obtain their myNEU account)
- Headset with microphone – See the headset recommendations (PDF) here
- Webcam (optional)
- System Test Page – click the link to automatically check the user’s computer to assess whether the necessary requirements are present to run a Blackboard Collaborate web conference session. You will need the latest version of Java:
Running and Configuring Collaborate
- PC instructions for running Collaborate the first time
- Mac instructions for running Collaborate the first time
For Faculty: Getting Started
- Quick Instructions for Creating a Collaborate Session in Your Course
- Go to your course in Blackboard and select Tools > Blackboard Collaborate.
- Select Create Session
- Enter a “Start Time” and an “End Time” for the session and click Save.
- This will create a session with all of your students as participants and you as the moderator and will provide a link to invite guests outside of your class.
- Complete Session Configuration Guide for the New Collaborate Menu (.pdf)
- Existing users: Note that Collaborate made some menu changes in Spring 2014. (.pdf) If you’re familiar with the tool but just want help with the interface changes, this document is for you.
- Essentials for Moderators provides more detail about the faculty/moderator role in Collaborate sessions.
- The Moderator’s Guide provides a more extensive look at the faculty/moderator role in Collaborate sessions.
For Faculty: Screencasts
Several of the following links are actual recorded Collaborate sessions. Please refer to the instructions above for running Collaborate sessions. You will need to run Collaborate in order to watch these recordings.
- Introduction to the Whiteboard
- Introduction to Application Sharing
- Introduction to Web Tour
- Blackboard Collaborate in Action
For Faculty: Quick Start Guides
- Audio Setup Wizard
- Audio & Video
- Getting Started with Recordings
- Loading PowerPoint
- Mobile Web Conferencing Users Guide (HTML)
- Getting Started for Moderators
- Participant Panel
- Using Application Sharing
- Using Web Tour
- Using Whiteboard
For Students: Screencasts
- Participant Orientation (slideshow)
- Instructor-led Classes: Go to our Training page and look for ‘Introducing Blackboard Collaborate’ in the Calendar of Upcoming ITS Training Classes
- How-to Solutions: Answers to commonly asked Blackboard Collaborate questions may also be found in myKnowledge, the ITS Knowledge Base.
- NEU Collaborate Blog
- Blackboard Collaborate provides 24X7 Support. You can submit a support request on-line or call them directly. Contact Blackboard Collaborate Technical Support here.
- Information Technology Services Northeastern University Blackboard SupportPhone: 617.373.4357 (xHELP)E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Online MBA, MST, and MSF programs offered through the D’Amore-McKim School of Business using BlackboardPhone: 855.836.3520Visit DMSB Support for answers to common questions, live chat, or to submit a support ticket
- Blackboard Request Forms (Faculty Only)
Troubleshooting Problems with the Collaborate Platform on Macs
- Refer to the instructions above for running Collaborate sessions on a Mac.
- Using the Collaborate Launcher on a Mac
- Troubleshooting Blackboard Collaborate voice features in Safari.
Alternative Web Conferencing Tools
These web conferencing tools may be helpful in specific contexts, but they are not supported by ATS.