Tegrity is the supported lecture capture service for on-ground and on-line learning at Northeastern. It is available on all classroom, faculty and staff computers. Integration with Blackboard makes recording, uploading and viewing easy for faculty and students.
Tegrity helps educators build content for use in flipped classrooms by providing a simple way to merge visuals and lecture. No video editing skills are necessary – the Tegrity recorder uses simple play, pause, and stop controls with basic annotation tools for highlighting and drawing. Recordings and supplementary materials can be uploaded to Blackboard through the Tegrity course page and shared or restricted at instructor discretion. Tools for running detailed or summary reports on access and viewing history are available from the Tegrity user home page. Instructors now have additional options to enable student recording for audio and video assignments or proctor online exams with Tegrity Remote Proctor.
The Tegrity Player
Tegrity Viewing Requirements Minimum Tegrity system requirements
The Microsoft Silverlight plug-in is required to view some older Tegrity recordings
- A computer or smart device with an Internet connection
- A Northeastern myNEU account
Tegrity Recording Requirements
- A computer with an Internet connection
- A Northeastern myNEU account
- Webcam, document camera or tablet (optional)
Some portable equipment is available on a first-come, first-serve basis from the Help & Information Desk. For more information, please see the ITS Services Page or the Equipment Checkout Page.
- See our Updated Tegrity Peripheral Recommendations
The Tegrity recorder is preinstalled on all campus classrooms with a Windows 7 computer. This 1 minute tutorial shows you how to use Tegrity in the classroom: https://goo.gl/0TEuin
Step-by-step text installation instructions:
- Tegrity Recorder Installer Guide PC
- Tegrity Recorder Installer Guide Mac
- Tegrity Installation and Recording Guide
Mobile playback is available on iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad and Android Device. One-time setup process requires a connection code. Please review the setup instructions to obtain a code and install the app:
Tegrity's asynchronous monitoring tool can help instructors keep their online exams secure. Remote Proctor verifies student identity and records the full exam session for later review.
Reporting and Gradebook Tracking
Tegrity offers a number of snapshot and analysis reports to assess student activity and Tegrity impact.
- Weekly Summary Snapshots: Weekly instructor and students activity comparisons.
- Detailed Reports: Detailed reports of instructor and students weekly activity.
- Custom Analysis: Reports by course, class, instructor or viewer.
- Gradebook tracking
Instructors can assign video projects to students by enabling student recording (disabled by default).
- Tegrity help and troubleshooting information
- Tegrity Best Practices
- Tegrity Download Manager Installation Guide - PC
- Tegrity Download Manager Installation Guide - Mac
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act governs the release of student information to the public, including information that associates grading information with a particular student or information that confirms a student’s presence in a particular course. As a result, faculty are advised to inform students in the syllabus that lectures may be recorded. In addition, faculty are encouraged to avoid recording video or audio of students unless there is a pedagogical need or unless recording students is necessary in order to capture necessary class proceedings. Further, faculty are encouraged to consider whether students are shown in recordings before deciding to release a video to an audience other than the class it was recorded in.
Faculty and staff are responsible for obtaining student consent for any materials in which student participation is recorded and distributed. A consent and release form is available here (Northeastern Consent and Release Form)
The following offers sample language you may want to use to inform students that classroom lectures may be recorded: "Lectures may be recorded and made available to students registered for this class using the Northeastern’s Tegrity lecture capture system. Use of Tegrity is intended to supplement the classroom experience. Duplication or redistribution of lecture capture recordings is prohibited without appropriate consent. To view Tegrity lecture recordings on the go, you can download the Tegrity mobile app. For technical assistance and for additional information, please see the lecture capture Tegrity support page: http://www.ats.neu.edu/teaching-technology/lecture-capture/"
Faculty, staff, and students are responsible for observing copyright law, including educational fair use guidelines, permissions and university policies for incorporating third party content into a Tegrity recording. Please refer to the University's Patent and Copyright and Fair Use policies for more information. Duplication or redistribution by students is prohibited. Students may not copy or redistribute lecture capture materials without the express, written permission of the course instructor. Unauthorized duplication or dissemination of lecture capture materials may violate federal or state law and University policy. Violation of University policy may result in disciplinary action. All videos are the property of Northeastern University.
Tegrity Retention Policy
- Tegrity content is hosted by Tegrity/Amazon Web Services and made available through Northeastern's Blackboard integration.
- Tegrity recordings are maintained on the server for a minimum of 2 years, after which they are archived in their state at the time and moved to storage. These course archives are maintained in perpetuity, and instructors or departments can request that they be restored at any time. Restore requests are made to ATS@neu.edu.
- Tegrity uses the myNEU account authentication system. User accounts are subject to the myNEU account system policies. Per this policy, student accounts are available for use for 1 year beyond graduation. Faculty/staff accounts are terminated at the end of eligibility for myNEU access.
- Instructors and program administrators with instructor level privileges may delete content from their own Tegrity recordings at any time.
ATS offers one-on-one Tegrity training and group workshops. View our schedule and register here or contact us at email@example.com to schedule private training.